How to Know and Calm A Cat in Heat: A Beginners Guide

Dealing with Cat Diarrhea: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment

 It's generally not a huge concern if you sometimes see some loose waste in your cat's litter box. But if many instances of loose stools occur, it's only normal to pause and think, "Why does my cat get diarrhea?"

How harmful is cat diarrhea? In certain instances, a singular occurrence, such as ingesting a toy that was left lying around the home, may be the cause of diarrhea in cats. However, diarrhea can also be a sign of an underlying medical issue, so it never hurts to take your cat to the doctor for more testing.

What food can I give my cat to treat diarrhea? Foods high in protein and fiber can aid cats with diarrhea. For particular nutritional advice designed just for your feline buddy, make sure to see your veterinarian.

Dealing with Cat Diarrhea: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment


Let's investigate this further.

Symptoms of Cat Diarrhea


Although diarrhea is typically not a huge matter, it occasionally can be. Usually, the response depends on whether the problem is acute or persistent. Contrary to chronic diarrhea, which persists for two weeks or more and typically signifies a far more serious issue, acute diarrhea occurs rapidly. If your cat's diarrhea lasts more than 24 hours or if they are also vomiting, call your veterinarian.

Causes of Cat Diarrhea


Knowing what is causing your cat's diarrhea can help you determine how to treat them and when a visit to the doctor is necessary.

These are some typical causes of cat diarrhea, according to Dr. Jamie Whittenburg (DVM), a vet at Cat World and the head of Kingsgate Animal Hospital:

  •  Dietary changes
  • Parasites
  • Stress
  • Viral infections versus bacterial infections
  • ‰onsuming strange items or dangerous materials


Let's examine these typical reasons for cat diarrhea in more detail:

Dietary changes


It's always a good idea to inquire with your veterinarian about the healthiest diets for your cat, particularly if your furry companion has persistent diarrhea. If you're switching your cat's food, do it gradually to give the delicate stomach time to adjust. You can keep an eye out for food allergies or intolerances by introducing new foods gradually over a period of several weeks. Keep an eye out for further allergic response signs in your cats, such as appetite loss, food vomiting, or swelling. A terrific person to turn to during this process is your veterinarian.

Digestive parasites are a common cause of intestinal issues in cats. Roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, giardia, and coccidia are examples of typical parasites. All of diseases are spread through excrement, therefore it's important to clean your cat's litter box often.

Worms can be detected by:

  •     Distended belly
  •     Abnormal coat
  •     Thin appearance
  •     Lethargy
  •     Worms visible in poop


Your veterinarian will require a stool sample to check whether you think your cat has worms. Consult your veterinarian about worm prevention to stop worms before they begin.

Stress


Every cat reacts to stress in a distinctive way, just like people do. Some cats may become anxious around unfamiliar individuals, novel situations, other animals, loud noises, or shifting environments. Stress can impair your cat's digestive system for any number of reasons. This might be the cause if your cat exhibits signs of fear or discomfort, or if you're going through a significant change in your life.

Ingesting allergens and foreign substances


Cats are hunters, and sometimes what they discover doesn't sit well in their tummies. Ingesting anything they shouldn't, whether it be a rat, toy, or piece of garbage, might result in diarrhea. Make careful to kitty-proof your home by keeping poisonous plants, human foods, and other items out of reach of your cat.

Advice: Call your veterinarian right away if you think your cat may have consumed something foreign or poisonous. A helpful emergency resource is the Pet Poison Helpline.

Infections caused by bacteria or viruses: Viral or bacterial stomach infections, such as salmonella and E. coli, can swiftly progress to cause organ damage by causing severe diarrhea and dehydration. Infections can also cause nausea, pale gums, tiredness, stomach discomfort, and fever. Contact your veterinarian as soon as you discover these symptoms.


why does my cat have diarrhea and vomiting why does my cat have diarrhea all the time why does my cat have diarrhea all of a sudden why does my cat have diarrhea with blood why does my cat have diarrhea but no other symptoms why does my cat have diarrhea after eating wet food why does my cat have diarrhea and throwing up why does my cat have diarrhea and gas why does my cat have diarrhea and not eating cat diarrhea cat has diarrhea my cat has diarrhea why does my cat have diarrhea kitten has diarrhea why does my kitten have diarrhea why does my cat have diarrhea all of a sudden my kitten has diarrhea my cat has runny poop all the time kitten with diarrhea cat diarrhea treatment cat insurance my cat what can i give my cat for diarrhea cat pumpkin what causes diarrhea in cats how to treat cat diarrhea cat diarrhea medicine cat having diarrhea why is my cat having diarrhea what to feed a kitten with diarrhea kitten diarrhea causes can cats have pumpkin cat signs cat food for diarrhea why do cats get diarrhea kitten diarrhea treatment causes of diarrhea in cats how to stop chronic diarrhea in cats how to stop cat diarrhea cat disease where is my cat cat health cat diarrhea stress my kitty what to do if your cat has diarrhea what can you give a cat for diarrhea cat has runny poop kitten having diarrhea what to give a cat for diarrhea why is my kitten having diarrhea your cat what to do if my cat has diarrhea what to do if cat has diarrhea why do cats have diarrhea pumpkin for cats with diarrhea cats and diarrhea cat chronic diarrhea my cat is having diarrhea what to feed a cat with diarrhea cat runny poop what causes cats to have diarrhea my cat has diarrhea what do i do what to do when your cat has diarrhea vet cat how to stop kitten diarrhea what to do when cat has diarrhea cat liquid poop how to treat kitten diarrhea why is my cats poop liquid kitten runny poop what to do if kitten has diarrhea kitten has runny poop why my cat has diarrhea get cat kittens have diarrhea what can i give my kitten for diarrhea why does my cat have diarrhea all the time what causes diarrhea in kittens what to give a kitten with diarrhea why is my kittens poop runny why does my cat always have diarrhea cat in pumpkin what to do if my kitten has diarrhea why has my cat got diarrhea why does my cat keep having diarrhea care cat why do kittens get diarrhea why does my cat have runny poop feline diarrhea what to do if your kitten has diarrhea cat keeps having diarrhea cat on pumpkin kitten diarrhea medicine cat always has diarrhea why is my cat's poop runny cats cat how to help a cat with diarrhea why my kitten has diarrhea why do kittens have diarrhea how to help kitten with diarrhea cat has liquid poop reasons for cat diarrhea cats and pumpkin what is my cat kitten food for diarrhea what to do when kitten has diarrhea what should i do if my cat has diarrhea why would a cat have diarrhea my cat keeps having diarrhea does pumpkin help cats with diarrhea cat got diarrhea can stress cause diarrhea in cats can worms cause diarrhea in cats what to do for a cat with diarrhea do worms cause diarrhea in cats what food gives cats diarrhea my cat has diarrhea all the time my cat has runny poop cat watery poop why has my kitten got diarrhea what causes kittens to have diarrhea why cats have diarrhea do cats get diarrhea why would my cat have diarrhea have a cat cat diarrhea symptoms cat has chronic diarrhea what can you give a kitten to stop diarrhea best food for cats with diarrhea kitten liquid poop my cat has diarrhea what can i do my kitten is having diarrhea what can cause diarrhea in cats cat have pumpkin for kitten diarrhea what do i do if my cat has diarrhea my cat is pooping liquid why cat has diarrhea what to give my cat for diarrhea what do you give a cat for diarrhea what can i give my cat to stop diarrhea my cat always has diarrhea can cats get diarrhea from stress cat has watery poop what food causes cat diarrhea what to do when my cat has diarrhea kittens and diarrhea what can cause a cat to have diarrhea what to do when your kitten has diarrhea my kitten has diarrhea what should i do is pumpkin good for cats with diarrhea best food for kittens with diarrhea why did my cat have diarrhea stop diarrhea in cats why is my cat pooping liquid why cats get diarrhea what helps cats with diarrhea cat watery diarrhea what should i do if my kitten has diarrhea why is my cat poop watery why is my cat diarrhea kitten keeps having diarrhea cat food for cats with diarrhea why cat diarrhea my kitty has diarrhea if my cat has diarrhea what should i do what can i give a cat for diarrhea cat has watery diarrhea my cat diarrhea my kitten has runny poop my cat has liquid poop my cat my cat kitty has diarrhea how to stop my cats diarrhea how to help my cat with diarrhea my cats poop is runny my cats poop is liquid cat has diarrhea all the time cat poop diarrhea cat keeps getting diarrhea severe diarrhea in cats kitten got diarrhea liquid poop cat does my cat have diarrhea why does my kitten have runny poop why does my cat have liquid poop how can i find my cat how do i find my cat why does my cat keep getting diarrhea my kittens poop is runny kitten chronic diarrhea what can you give a kitten for diarrhea cat poop watery what to feed my cat with diarrhea what to do when cats have diarrhea medicine for diarrhea for cats feline diarrhea treatment my cat has chronic diarrhea cat has liquid diarrhea what would cause a cat to have diarrhea diarrhea for cat treatment why would a kitten have diarrhea runny poop cat watery cat poop all my cats have diarrhea what do i do if my kitten has diarrhea kitten has watery poop why kittens have diarrhea what to give your cat for diarrhea can cats get diarrhea how to stop my cat from having diarrhea cat sudden diarrhea cat food to help with diarrhea do worms give cats diarrhea what causes my cat to have diarrhea what should i feed my cat with diarrhea how to tell if your cat has diarrhea why does my kitten keep having diarrhea how to tell if cat has diarrhea cat food to stop diarrhea can cats have diarrhea diarrhea in cats medicine diarrhea medicine for kittens what can you give a cat that has diarrhea my cats got diarrhea reasons for kitten diarrhea help cat with diarrhea when cats have diarrhea why does my cat has diarrhea kitten pooping liquid why does my cat have watery poop canned pumpkin for cats with diarrhea when a cat has diarrhea can i get diarrhea from my cat how to stop a cat from having diarrhea reason for cat diarrhea what to do if my cat's poop is watery watery poop cat what can i give a kitten for diarrhea causes of chronic diarrhea in cats cat poop is runny my kittens have diarrhea do cats have diarrhea what if my cat has diarrhea why is my cats poop always runny do kittens have diarrhea cat liquid diarrhea why would my kitten have diarrhea can you give cats pumpkin for diarrhea why is my cat having liquid poop kitten medicine for diarrhea what medicine for cat diarrhea my kitten keeps having diarrhea what helps cat diarrhea what can i give cat for diarrhea reasons my cat has diarrhea cat suddenly has diarrhea why is my kitten pooping liquid why does my cat get diarrhea cat has diarrhea what to do do cats get diarrhea from stress what to do when my kitten has diarrhea how to stop my kitten from having diarrhea can cat treats cause diarrhea for my cat what can i do if my cat has diarrhea why kitten has diarrhea why does my cat suddenly have diarrhea help me find my cat cat has severe diarrhea sudden diarrhea in cats can i give my cat pumpkin for diarrhea why is my kitten poop watery kitten has liquid poop best medicine for cat diarrhea reasons cats get diarrhea what do you do if your cat has diarrhea what do i give my cat for diarrhea what medicine can i give my cat for diarrhea what causes cats to get diarrhea what to feed your cat when they have diarrhea my cat keeps getting diarrhea diet for cat with diarrhea how to help diarrhea in cats what can you give your cat for diarrhea cat diarrhea what to do cat having liquid poop how do cats get diarrhea kitten always has diarrhea why cat have diarrhea what helps kittens with diarrhea feline diarrhea causes my cat has watery poop what to give a cat that has diarrhea why does my cat have chronic diarrhea what to give cats when they have diarrhea why would a cat get diarrhea cat food causing diarrhea why my cat diarrhea kitten diarrhea symptoms my cat has watery diarrhea what to do for a kitten with diarrhea why does my kitten always have diarrhea what do you feed a cat with diarrhea can worms in cats cause diarrhea why my kitten poop is watery do kittens get diarrhea why do cats have runny poop why is my cat's poop watery what would cause my cat to have diarrhea my cat has severe diarrhea what to do when kittens have diarrhea what causes chronic diarrhea in cats my kitten poop is watery can stress cause cat diarrhea diarrhea in cats cause how to help my cats diarrhea kitten severe diarrhea what should i give my cat for diarrhea what makes a cat have diarrhea can changing cat food cause diarrhea what to give my kitten for diarrhea does pumpkin help with diarrhea in cats why does my kitten have liquid poop diarrhea in kittens what to do why does my cat poop liquid what medicine to give a cat for diarrhea how to stop a kitten from having diarrhea what to do cat diarrhea kitten liquid diarrhea how to stop my kittens diarrhea does stress cause diarrhea in cats why my cat poop is watery why is my cat getting diarrhea how do you treat a cat with diarrhea my cat's poop is watery can kitten food cause diarrhea if a cat has diarrhea do cats get diarrhea when stressed giving cats pumpkin for diarrhea cat is pooping liquid how to treat my cats diarrhea cat diarrhea food change how to help cats diarrhea why did my kitten have diarrhea cat chronic diarrhea treatment what can you give a cat to stop diarrhea cat getting diarrhea

Diagnosis of Cat Diarrhea


Any of the aforementioned causes can result in cat diarrhea. In addition, your cat may experience diarrhea at some point in their lives due to less prevalent conditions such intestinal cancer, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism.

In general, Dr. Whittenburg advises consulting a vet every time your cat has diarrhea without a clear explanation, especially if the diarrhea is accompanied by other symptoms.

Dr. Whittenburg adds that further indications that your cat needs quick veterinary care include weight loss, fever, lethargy, and hiding. Untreated digestive problems can result in life-threatening disorders like hepatic lipidosis or chronic illnesses like inflammatory bowel disease. She underlines that "the sooner an appropriate diagnosis is established, the sooner the condition may be remedied."

How to behave at the veterinary clinic


Your veterinarian will probably inquire about the texture and color of your cat's feces when you speak with them. Cat feces is intended to be dark and flexible. Soft stool can occur sometimes, but watery diarrhea is particularly worrisome since it can severely dehydrate your cat.

Yellow, crimson, and black excrement are the three most alarming hues to be on the lookout for. The presence of yellow feces may indicate liver illness, anemia, or poisoning. Internal bleeding can be identified by red and black feces. To determine that, tests must be run by your veterinarian.

If your cat has diarrhea that is runny, bloody, yellow, mucus-coated, followed by vomiting, or lasts more than 24 hours, call your veterinarian. If you have a kitten, a pregnant cat, or a cat with a known chronic illness, you should also let your veterinarian know.

Treatment of Cat Diarrhea


Each cat will receive a unique treatment. Your veterinarian may do tests, diagnose your cat, and begin treating the reason of your cat's diarrhea after they have a better understanding of the potential causes of what is occurring.

Restoration and care


Give your cat plenty of water to replenish the fluids and electrolytes they have lost from diarrhea if your veterinarian advises doing so at home. Your vet might need to administer subcutaneous fluids to your cat if it is unable to retain water.

Your veterinarian may also suggest dietary modifications for your cat that will aid in its rehabilitation. This can entail giving your cat a partial day's worth of food-free time, reintroducing food gradually with a bland diet, or giving your cat supplements like probiotics or canned pumpkin. If the diarrhea persists, speak with your veterinarian again until you come up with a workable remedy.

Prevention


Although not all diarrhea can be avoided, routine visits to the vet are an excellent place to start. Getting regular shots, using deworming medication, and maintaining a clean litter box for your cat can all help avoid parasite illness.

You want to make sure that your cat receives the finest treatment available when they develop an unforeseen illness. 90% of qualified vet expenditures are covered by Pumpkin Pet Insurance policies, allowing you to focus more on care and less on costs.

Final thought


There are many different illnesses or circumstances that might induce diarrhea in cats. When you see loose poop and don't know what caused it, it's crucial to take your feline companion to the doctor right away. The sooner you do it, the sooner they'll be on the path to recovery.

Comments